If you know about bra sister sizes, you’ll know everything you need to know about bra sizing. Learn about your alternative sizes in this short guide.
As an Amazon Associate and publisher for several lingerie companies, I earn from qualifying purchases. The commission is paid by the retailers, at no cost to you.
What are bra sister sizes?
Warner’s Women’s Plus-Size NO Side Effects Wire-Free | See details at Amazon.com
Every bra size is surrounded by a set of bra sister sizes. Although these sister sizes have different band sizes and cup numbers, the cup volume of the sister size is the same.
- We all have a sister size we could wear. For example, the bras 40C and 38D have the same cup volume and might fit the same woman.
- Especially if you’re in between two possible sizes (most women are in between sizes)
- If you know the alternative sizes you can choose from, it makes shopping so much easier.
- Bra brands may have a different fit and you might need to go down or up with the band and cup size.
I myself have 3 different bra sizes that fit me just fine. I have one bra size I wear the most. Sometimes I go for a band size 36 instead of the 34 I usually wear. In this case, I go down a cup size to keep the same cup volume.
The cups in a 36 are also a bit wider set and I find this sometimes better for me. Depending on the brand and bra style I try different sizes and actually own different sizes.
When measuring your band size, hold the tape firmly around your body. Measuring your bust size should be done over the fullest part of your busts
Herroom has a great video on how to measure your breast size See video Herroom here
Going up a band size – want to keep the same cup size
Glamorise Women’s Plus Size Magic Lift Full-Figure Support Bra | See details at Amazon.com
You wear a 36C bra and are not happy with the band size finding it a bit too tight. You don’t wanna change the cup size.
- you choose bra size 38B (that is your bra sister size).
Going down a band size – want to keep the same cup size
Vanity Fair Women’s Full Figure Beauty Back Smoothing Bra | See details at Amazon.com
You wear a 36C bra and are not happy with the band size finding it a bit too loose. You don’t wanna change the cup size.
- you choose bra size 34D (that is your bra sister size)
If you want to change your band size but not your cup size you will have to know what to choose. Because when going up or down a band size, the cup size of the bra will have to change too in order to keep the same cup volume.
Knowing your bra sister sizes will give you more control when shopping for a bra. Depending on the bra style and the bra brand, you’ll know what sizes you can try.
Thirdlove Fit Finder
Herroom Bra Video Tutorials
- How to minimize back fat »
- Best bras for plus size petite woman »
- Best bra styles for deflated and pendulous breasts »
- How large cup-sized girls find their true cup size »
- Your sister bra sizes »
- Minimizer bras 101 »