Breast shells allow healing time for your sensitive or sore nipples between nursing and pumping sessions. See my selection of 5 favorite Amazon breast shells here
As an Amazon Associate and publisher for several lingerie companies, I earn from qualifying purchases. The commission is paid by the retailers, at no cost to you.
What are breast shells?
A breast shell is a silicone cover designed to place over nipples. It is used by many women in between breastfeeding sessions.
- nipples will be protected by the shells so they have time to rest
- damaged nipples have moments to recover
- the shells have little holes to allow air circulation
- you can wear them under your bra and clothes
- nipple shells protect painful nipples against clothing
- the covers collect leaking milk
Will breast shells work for me?
Breast shells for sore breasts are not just an accessory but can be a lifesaver.
I wish I knew about the shells when I was breastfeeding my son. Or wished someone around me advised me on this.
It can take only a few days of NOT having the right tools as a breastfeeding mom before you decide to quit breastfeeding. Every little bit counts when you’re breastfeeding.
How to use breast shells?
Breast shells should be placed in the middle of your nipples. The shells can be worn all day in between your breastfeeding. They fit best underneath a nursing bra because these types of bras are wider.
Some breast shells are designed with a collection cap for leaking milk.
5 favorite breast shells seen on Amazon
1. Breast Shell & Milk Catcher for Breastfeeding Relief
Breast Shell & Milk Catcher for Breastfeeding Relief – (2 in 1) Protect Cracked, Sore, Engorged Nipples & Collect Breast Milk Leaks During The Day, While Nursing or Pumping | See details at Amazon.com
- these breast shells don’t touch your nipples allowing for healing time between nursing and pumping sessions
- with the built-in spout for air ventilation, which also helps speed the healing process
- helps form nipples if you have flat nipples
- no holes in the shell for airflow
- holds without spilling milk
2. Medela SoftShells | breast shells for sore nipples
Medela SoftShells Breast Shells for SorteNipples for Pumping or Breastfeeding | See details at Amazon.com
- the Medela softshells have ventilation holes to help to heal sore nipples
- soft, flexible backs
- natural appearance under a bra
- make sore nipples much more comfortable
- if using the SoftShells, do not feed the milk collected in the foam insert to the baby
3. Milkelle Breast Shells, Milk Saver, Nursing Cups
Milkelle Breast Shells, Milk Saver, Nursing Cups, Food Grade Silicone BPA-Free PP (Set of 2) | See details at Amazon.com
- designed to help to collect breast milk leaks during the day, baby nursing or pumping
- can be used instead of nursing pads and do not waste precious breast milk
- soft silicone membrane helps to feel comfortable during wearing and keeps breast milk cup collector from displacement
- leak-proof low-profile design of a breast milk collector storage is more discreet under clothing
- fits best in a padded bra if you do not want them to be obvious
- protect sore or cracked nipples from rubbing and chafing
4. Breast Shells, 4 Pack Nursing Cups, Milk Saver
Breast Shells, 4 Pack Nursing Cups, Milk Saver, Protect Sore Nipples for Breastfeeding | See details at Amazon.com
5. Philips Avent Comfort Breast Shell Set
Philips Avent Comfort Breast Shell Set, 2 Count | See details at Amazon.com
Meant to be worn inside your bra, to collect excess breast milk and help protect sore nipples.
Other articles you might like
14 bra styles – a guide for plus size ladies
D plus nursing bras for moms
Pure silver nipple shields for sore nipples
Nipple shields for breastfeeding
Why is my bra hurting?
How to measure bust size correctly?
Thirdlove Fit Finder
Herroom Bra Video Tutorials
- How to minimize back fat »
- Best bras for plus size petite woman »
- Best bra styles for deflated and pendulous breasts »
- How large cup-sized girls find their true cup size »
- Your sister bra sizes »
- Minimizer bras 101 »