Nipple shields for breastfeeding can be a great help for any woman and her baby. Lifesavers really when dealing with breastfeeding issues. See my selection of favorite Amazon nipple shields here
As an Amazon Associate and publisher for several lingerie companies, I earn from qualifying purchases. The commission is paid by the retailers, at no cost to you.
When to use nipple shields?
Many women are of have been dealing with breastfeeding issues. Nipple shields can be a great help for any woman and her baby to overcome difficulties when breastfeeding.
The little silicone nipple shields can be a lifesaver for cracked or sore nipples. And it can help your baby overcome latch-on difficulties.
A nipple shield has a few little holes from where your baby can drink the milk. There’s also an opening at the part that lays on the areola. It’s meant for the baby’s nose, so it will smell and feel the mother.
You lay the shield over your nipple and areola during feeding.
Nipple shields can be used for:
- short term latch-on difficulties
- premature babies may have problems with latching in the first couple of weeks
- a nipple shield may help to transition to breastfeeding
- flat or inverted nipples
- tongue-tie, lip tie, or overactive let-down
- protect your blistered, cracked, bleeding nipples during feeding
What size nipple shields do I need?
Take your time to measure your nipple if you’re not sure about sizing. Every woman is unique, and so is the size of her nipple.
It is very sad to hear women have had a bad experience with nipple shields only because they’ve had the wrong size shield. As for choosing a nipple shield, it is not one size fits all.
There are 3 sizes nipple shields you can choose from. Sizes are S/16 mm, M/20 mm or L/24 mm. Although some brands have 2 sizes and there are one-size-fits-all on the market.
How to measure a nipple shield
- measure the diameter of your nipple
- add 2 or 3 mm to your measuring, so the nipple has some extra space if it swells
Best selling nipple shields brands on Amazon
I’ve selected the 2 best-selling nipple shields for breastfeeding from the brands Medela and Lansinoh. On Amazon, they have over 1000 reviews. This offers a great source of information for any woman who wants to buy nipple shields.
Medela contact nipple shields for breastfeeding
Medela Contact Nipple Shield for Breastfeeding 16, 20, and 24 mm | See details at Amazon.com
- for latching difficulties
- overactive letdown
- also for flat or inverted nipples
- the kit includes 2 contact nipple shields along with a portable carrying case for traveling
The Medela shields feature a unique design with a cut-out area that encourages maximum skin contact between the mother and the baby.
Medela’s is a company with 50 years plus experience for moms and babies.
Our primary focus is breastfeeding – by helping moms to successfully breastfeed their babies and to do so for as long as they choose. Meeting this goal responsibly is at the heart of everything we do.source: medela.com
Medela is also known for its #1 recommended breast pump brand See the Medela shop at Amazon.com
Lansinoh nipple shields for breastfeeding
Lansinoh Nipple Shield for Breastfeeding 20mm and 24 mm | See details at Amazon.com
- for latch-on issue of premature, small or ill infants
- effective for flat or inverted nipples, tongue tie, lip tie, or overactive let-down
- cut out design to maximize skin-to-skin contact
Lansinoh was founded by a breastfeeding mom. Lansinoh has supported moms for more than 35 years.
The company is known for its #1 recommended lanolin nipple cream and for launching the first Bluetooth connected breast pump See the Lansinoh shop at Amazon.com
Best-Selling Nipple Shield Carrying Case
The Modern Momma company is run by a corporate mom who sought simple solutions to make her life easier while raising 3 children.
- best-selling storage case for nipple shield/breastfeeding shield
- makes it easy to locate & discreetly store nipple shield in diaper bag, purse, or around house
- protect your shield from germs and pets
- easy-clean design is top rack dishwasher safe
- perforated holes allows moisture to escape, allowing your shield to properly dry between uses.
Best-Selling Nipple Shield Carrying Case, Perfect Solution for Medela Shields and Similar Shields, by Modern Momma; Purple Pansy | See details at Amazon.com
Other articles you might like
14 bra styles – a guide for plus size ladies
D plus nursing bras for moms
Pure silver nipple shields for sore nipples
Breast shells for breastfeeding – 5 Amazon favorites
Why is my bra hurting?
How to measure bust size correctly?
Thirdlove Fit Finder
Herroom Bra Video Tutorials
- How to minimize back fat »
- Best bras for plus size petite woman »
- Best bra styles for deflated and pendulous breasts »
- How large cup-sized girls find their true cup size »
- Your sister bra sizes »
- Minimizer bras 101 »